Saturday, January 10, 2015

Tiruvathirai Kali | How to make Tiruvathirai Kali at home | Easy Recipe | Stepwise Pictures | Glutenfree Recipe| Tamilian Festival Delicacy





Hi SUPERMOMS,

I love to cook during the festival and pooja days. Being an Indian from the southern part of the country, food plays a major role in any of our festivals/Pooja. 

Each festival or Pooja has certain unique dishes that are first offered as 'NAIVEDYAM 'and then partaken by the family members. 

Personally I feel this is a lovely way to share our food culture with the next generation. I am starting a new LABEL for these dishes ...."FESTIVAL DELICACIES". 

For these recipes, I need to thank a lot of people. To start with my mother in law Prema, my mother Prabha, my neighbour aunty Mrs.Radhakrishnan and my husband (my food critic) for constantly motivating me to better the dishes. 

This festival is dedicated to Lord Mahadev. Tiruvathirai or Arudhra Darisanam has been celebrated for the last 1500 years. Tiruvadirai(Arudhra) in Tamil means "sacred big wave", using which the universe was created by Lord Shiva about 132 trillion years ago. It takes place on the full moon night in the Tamil month of Margazhi. It is also the longest night of the year. In South India, the festival is know as TIRUVATHIRAI and the dishes made are KALI and KOOTU.It is a delicious combination of a sweet dish with a spicy accompaniment. The 'Kali is made with broken rice and jaggery. The 'Kootu' is made with seven vegetables.



Thiruvathirai Kali

Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves : 4
Special Vessel : Pressure Cooker
1 Cup = 250 ml Cup


Ingredients:

3/4 Cup Roasted Raw Rice Grits
1 &1/4 Cup Jaggery 
1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
5-6 pods powdered Cardamom
1 tablespoon Ghee
3 cups Water ( approximately)
10 Cashewnuts ( For garnish)



METHOD:( Instructions inside the Stepwise pictures)





TIPS:

1.You can garnish the Kali with Ghee roasted Cashewnuts for added flavour.
2. I used dirt and mudfree jaggery. In case you need to filter the dirt, add some water in the grated jaggery, filter using a sieve and use the jaggery water.

My children relished this KALI. A must try recipe!!!

I am sure you are going to bring more smiles!

HAPPY COOKING!

With love,

MASTERCHEFMOM








No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...