Since my Kids love BOMBAY famous VADA PAV, I often prepare it for school. You might think that preparing VADA PAV early in the morning( the school bus comes at 6.50) might be a task.
You will be surprised to learn that I follow a trick(JUGAAD! ) method of making quick vada pav, yet tastes very authentic!
It is 'FOOD APPROVED' by my food critic dearies, so you can go ahead and follow my recipe to make this awesome snack!!!!
Presenting my take on the famous Mumbaiya VADA PAV!!!!
Readymade/homemade Pav buns
FOR BATATA VADA
Potato- 2 large
bengal Gram flour( Besan)- 1/4 cup
Rice flour- 1 tsp
Corn flour -2 tsp- for tossing the potato balls before dunking them in batter.
Salt - to taste
Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Your favourite masala powder-1/4 tsp( i used maggi magic masala powder)
FOR GARLIC POWDER
IDLI CHILLI POWDER -2 tsp
Garlic powder- 1 tsp
Ghee( clarified butter)- adjust
1. First make the Potato (Batata)Vadas. Make a paste of Besan ,rice flour,chilli powder,salt and masala powder using water. Make a pan cake like batter. Boil the potatoes in a steamer. peel,mash and shape them into balls. Toss the potato balls in Cornflour before coating them with batter. I have shared the Step by Step Pictures here.
2. While you are making this preparation, heat oil in a wok/ kadai. Drop a small piece of batter to check whether the oil is hot. If the piece sizzles instantly, then you are ready to fry the batata vada. Fry them till golden brown.
3. When the vadas are cooking, you can cut the pav into half and toast them in a tawa( pancake pan) with generous amount of butter( I used Amul table butter).
4. Next step is to get our garlic powder ready. Just mix the Idli chutney powder with the garlic powder and this powder with ghee. You can use oil or melted table butter also.
5. Apply the garlic powder on both sides ( the inner side) of the pav buns, gently flatten the vada between your palms and sandwich it between the buns.
6. Your JHATPAT (quick) VADA PAV is ready to be packed for lunch box.
It is so nice to hear from kids that their lunch was so delicious!!!
Do try and share your experience with me!