Chole Masala needs no introduction. It is THE most popular Indian side dish for rotis, Baturas, pooris,parathas and ofcourse Chawal( rice).
Chole or the garbanzo beans is a great combination of health and taste.
There are so many ways of cooking this beans. Today I am sharing a recipe that I have mastered over the years. Simple, flavourful ,replicating the Chole you get in Delhi.
If you happen to visit Delhi, you cannot miss umpteen number of roadside thelewalas( Street vendors) selling hot Chole baturas or kulcha chole. It is the comfort food of Delhities!!!
They make it really simple but it bursts with so much flavours! You will be pleasently surprised at the amount of ingredients used.
Preparation time: 8 hours ( includes the soaking time)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves : 4
1. Chole( Garbanzo beans)- 200 gms
2. Tomato puree-1 tbsp( I used the ready made carton)
3.finely chopped coriander leaves
4. Green chillies
5. Onions- I used 2
6.Juice of one lemon/ cut lemon slices
7. Tea bags-2
8. Chole masala powder-2 tsps
9. Salt to taste
10. Ginger julienne for garnish.
11. A bay leaf
12. Ghee- clarified butter-1 to 2 tbsp
1. Soak the beans for 4 to 5 hours or overnight. Boil the Chole with two tea bags and with water . Add water to cover the beans. I pressure cooked upto 8 whistles.
2. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add the bay leaf.
3. Now add the processed onions and tomato puree. Let it cook. Add salt.
4. Mix the Chole Masala powder in 1 tbsp of water.
5. The onion tomatoes mix will look like this.
6. Now, add the Chole powder mix and let it cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add the Chole( garbanzo beans).
8. Let it simmer till the time the oil seperates. It will be ready in 10 minutes.
Your delicious Chole Masala is ready!!! Garnish with Ginger juliennes ,dash of lime and serve it with hot baturas,phulkas, chapathi or kulcha.You can serve it with slices of lime if you do not like to mix it in he gravy. The choice is completely yours.Easy, is'nt it?