I try my best to make Oats and millets interesting to my children. Yaay, succeeded finally!!!
These buns were so much liked by all and I am going repeat it with different flavours. I like to be creative in my kitchen and here is a dish born out of my creativity.
You can trust me and go ahead to try these healthy buns!
They taste great just like that. But spreading some butter definetely makes it more yummy.
Coconut ,cashewnuts and cucumber seeds adds to the crunch in these buns.
I have spiced it with some dried red chillies and added curry leaves for flavour.
1. Oil/ Ghee -2 tsp + 1/2 tsp for greasing
2. Oats- 1/2 cup(100 gms)
3. Rice flour-1/4 cup(50 gms)
4. Cashews-5 to 6
5. Fresh coconut pieces
6. Salt to taste
7. Water- 200 ml ( adjust)
1. Mustard seeds,Cumin seeds,cucumber seeds and your choice of seeds
2. Curry leaves
3. Dried red chillies-2 ( break and add)
1. Heat oil a tsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add the ingredients for tempering.
2. Once tempered, add the cashews and oats. Start to roast them. Keep the gas in lowheat. Keep stirring so that the oats get uniformly roasted.
3. Once roasted, switch off and add the rice powder. mix well.
4. Once it is warm, add 200 ml of water. Add salt and keep the pan back on the stove.
5. The mixture will start to thicken.
6. Keep mixing till the time, the mixture glues to become one ball and is not sticking to the pan. Switch off.
7. While it cools a little bit, grease a steamer or a steaming pan with oil. Lightly grease your hands too and start making small balls and flatten to make doughtnut shaped buns. You can shape it however you want.
8. Place them in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
9. Your healthy Oat coconut buns are ready. Serve it with butter. I made a dark Garbanzo bean curry ( Channa Makhani -http://masterchefmom.blogspot.com/2015/06/channa-makhani-impromtu-recipe-that.html) to go along with these buns.
Light,healthy and a different dinner ,it was!!!