Konkani Cuisine has some amazing traditional dishes. Nurge Gashie is a spicy drumstick curry bursting with coastal flavours . Drumstick is cooked in thick tamarind gravy that is flavoured with coconut and whole spices . The coconut -tamarind spice paste gives a creamy texture and tangy taste to this dish. Adding jaggery compliments the curry and tastes delicious.
Weekend lunch can be made more exciting with the Nurge Gashie. You can enjoy it with steaming hot rice / rotis or paranthas.
Recipe Courtesy : Mrs. Chandra Padmanabhan
Nurge Gashie :
Serves -4 to 6
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time :25 minutes
Special vessel : medium size frying pan, mixer for grinding the spice paste
1 cup = 250 ml cup
4 drumsticks ( cut them into 1 " pieces )
1 teaspoon Powdered Jaggery -
1 large onion finely chopped
salt to taste
For the Spice Paste :
7 red Chillies
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal /husked black gram
3/4 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon Lemon sized ball of tamarind or thick tamarind paste
4 Garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
3" piece Fresh coconut ( chopped / grated ) for grinding
2 teaspoons sesame Oil
For tempering :
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 /2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon Urad dal / husked black gram
1 sprig curry leaves
Cilantro leaves - finely chopped
1. Place 2 cups water with salt in a frying pan and bring it to boil. Add the drumsticks and simmer for 10 minutes till tender. Set aside along with the water .
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the ingredients for the spice paste( red chillies,coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and dal) till the dal turns golden and chillies fragrant.
3.Combine the fried ingredients with remaining ingredients for spice paste and grind in a mixer.
4. Grind to a smooth consistency. ( I used thick homemade tamarind pulp ). Add 1/2 cup of water to grind it smoothly.
5.In a wide pan, heat oil and add all the ingredients for tempering.
6. Once the mustard seeds splutter,add the chopped onions and fry till golden.
7. Now add the drumsticks along with the cooked water. Add the ground paste , salt and jaggery. Let it simmer for 10 minutes in low flame. Switch off. Your steaming hot NURGE GASHIE is ready!!!!
You can garnish with cilantro leaves and serve it with rice/ rotis or paranthas.
A traditional Mangalore Speciality that you need to try soon !!!
Chef Tips :
1. Simmering the Gashie is a must to release the flavours of the ground paste.
2. Be careful while you cook the drumstick. If you overcook, the drumstick pieces will split open.