Do you like Savoury Waffles ? Do you like Gujarati Dhokla ?
Well, I have combined these two concepts and made Gluten Free Savoury Waffle Sandwiches . My daughter has named this dish as ' Waffla' as I have made a Waffle- Dhokla Sandwich.
All of us like to send healthy lunch boxes to school...but children get bored with the same dishes. If I plan to send Dhokla one day, I send Waffla may be after a week. The secret ingredients....only we know!!!!
It remains crisp even after few hours. So no worries!!! The Wafflas are completely healthy and you can snack on them too.
Gluten free CHEESY WAFFLA :
Preparation time : 8 hours ( soaking time)
Cooking time : 15 minutes ( for one batch)
Serves - 3 sandwiches
1. Split Yellow Mung Dal - 1 cup( 250 ml)
2.Fruit Salt - 1 sanchet ( 1 tsp)
3.Salt to taste
4. Cheese Slices -3
5. Deseeded finely chopped green chillies -3
6. Asafoetida -1/4 tsp
7. Butter for greasing the plates -2 tbsp
1. Soak the mung dal overnight with water .
2. Add asafoetida, salt and remove excess water and grind it to a smooth paste.
3. Fix the waffle attachment in your toaster or if you are using a waffle maker, then grease( liberally) the plate and let it become screaming hot.
4. Just before you pour the batter into the plate, add the fruitsalt and mix. You will see that the batter has well risen and has become fluffy and light.
5. Spread the batter into each plate and close the lid gently. Wait patiently for 10 - 15 minutes. Then, gently remove the waffle.
6. Add cheese slice and chopped green chillies on one of the waffle and close with the other. Repeat the same procedure for the other batches.
Place them in a cooking rack for 5 minutes if you are packing for lunch box.Your Cheesy Waffla is ready to be devoured hot too!
Chef Tips :
1. Greasing the plates is an important step in this recipe.
2. Be patient and do not prematurely open the lid.
3.You can add grated vegetables to the batter. You can incorporate cheese too in the batter.
4. You can make a sweet version of these Waffla.
5. You could also make veggie cutlets and sandwich them instead of cheese.