First of all let me clarify the doubt running in your mind right now... 'Peperoni' in Italian Cuisine means 'Bell Peppers' and ' Pizzaiola' means a pasta that is cooked in similar flavours as a pizza.
So, this is a completely Vegetarian Pasta but cooked in truly an Italian Style!!
A flavourful cheesy pasta in just 30 minutes! No sweat ..just deliciousness !
I used Del Monte Penne Rigate and the Tomato Basil Sauce to make this dish.
Peperoni Penne Pizzaiola :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Cooking equipments required : Ramekins for individual serving or an oven proof casserole.
1. Penne Pasta - 1 cup ( 250 ml)
2. Tomato Basil Sauce - 200 ml ( I used store bought)
3.Peperoni/ Bell Peppers - sliced thin - I used half of each colour .
4. Deseeded and thinly sliced Tomatoes - 1
5. Green chilli Pepper - 1 large
6. Dry Oregano -1 teaspoon.
7. Freshly ground black pepper - 1 teaspoon
8. Garlic powder -1/2 teaspoon
9. Salt to taste.
10. Mozarella cheese -100 gms.
1. Add the pasta to boiling water and cook for approximately 9 to 11 minutes. Add 1/4 tsp of sea salt or regular salt in the water .
2. When the pasta is just cooked ' Al Dente ' drain the pasta in a colander and add the remaining olive oil and mix to coat the oil.
3. Mix the pasta with Del Monte Pasta sauce or home made tomato basil pasta sauce and set it aside.
4. You can chop all the peppers when the pasta is cooking. This saves a lot of time. You can slice the mozarella cheese instead of grating them.
5. I used two ramekins and one 650 ml casserole for making the Pizzaiola. First layer the casserole with chopped Peperoni. Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, salt and oregano. Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil and bake in a preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes at 180 degrees C.
4. Now add the Penne pasta in tomato basil sauce on top of the Peperoni.
5. Add more sauce.
6. Add more Peperoni on top and sprinkle oregano,salt, black pepper .
7. Cover the casserole with cheese .
8. Sprinkle oregano and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes . You can cover with a foil and bake if you do not want the cheese to be browned.
Your yummy Peperoni Penne Pizzaiole is ready to be served in individual bowls. A perfect meal even for birthday parties and get togethers.
You can bake them ahead and refrigerate. Just reheat them and serve. Is'nt it a cool idea?
Chef Tips :
1. I have kept the sauce simple . You can add more flavours and spices.
2. Cooking the pasta 'Al Dente' is an important step.
3. I kept the casserole in the middle rack while baking.
4. You can bake them in the disposable oven friendly boxes to carry for office ,school or picnics.
5.If you do not have an oven, you can make this pasta in a heavy bottom pan over the stove top. Follow the same steps.
6. You can bake in a microwave too.
7. Adding salt in water is an important step. Do not miss it.
Happy Cooking !
This original recipe of 'Peperoni Penne Pizzaioli ' is an entry to Del Monte's #Italian Escapades Campaign.
You can check out their products and offers at Del Monte facebook page.