When you hear the word ' Pizza ' what are your first thoughts?
Atleast some of you must be thinking of delicious gooey pizzas as ' junk' food and absolutely not good for health especially for children. I still come across parents who would buy pizzas and burgers from the restos but would not make them at home as they are 'junk'. How hypocritical is this?
First of all, we need to understand the ingredients that make a particular dish. I do not see much difference in the Indian Naan and the Italian pizza bread . Two different cuisines but the building blocks to make these dishes are very similar. The flour, yeast and butter goes into making the dough. Almost the same resting hours ...while the Naan is baked in the tandoor the pizza is baked in the oven.
When buttery 'Naan' is accepted why not the pizza. Infact if you are making it at home from scratch, you can also decide on a healthier flour and can control the vegetable ( you can add more!) and cheese quantity !!! And look at the amount of vegetables that go into them !!!
I usually make pizzas from scratch. You can make them a day earlier and use it to make inside out pizzas. Trust me, not only kids, but you will love them too. Friday tiffin box can be made so excited by packing these 'PIZZA PIES' .
This recipe can also be easily made with store bought pizza bread .
Pizza Pies :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Baking Time :7 to 10 minutes
1. Pizza bread of your choice - 1 large or 2 small
2. Onion -2 large - sliced thinly
3. Bell peppers ( assorted ) ,mushrooms -finely chopped
4. Pizza sauce of your choice -2 tbsp
5. Italian herbs -1 tbsp
6. Chilli flakes / chopped green chillies -1 tsp
7. Ricotta cheese/ Paneer - cubed or crumbled -100gms
8. Grated Mozarella or Cheddar Cheese - add according to your preference
9. Table butter for greasing
1. In a large bowl add all the vegetables ,cheese ,sauce,herbs,spices and mix using a fork.
2.Cut the bread first into half and then make a pocket in each half using a knife like this. Be careful not to tear the outer bread cover. Also try to make a deep pocket.
3. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with foil and grease it with butter / Ghee.
4. Stuff the pockets with the vegetable cheese filling.
5. Place it on the greased tray.
6. Apply a coat of butter on the top and sprinkle some cheese and sliced onions. Sprinkle herbs on top and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or till the time the cheese on top melts.
7. Cool it in a rack before you slice it into pies and pack . Ofcourse you can serve it hot as your special dinner and surprise your family.
Store bought pizzas are usually very thick and is ideal to make these Pizza Pies. Since we are cutting the bread and making it thinner, it just melts in the mouth.
If you are planning for a special kids party then this recipe is sure to be a smash hit !!
1. Cool the pizza if you are packing for tiffin box to avoid it getting soggy.
2. Do not forget to grease the baking tray as it helps the pizza bread to crisp.
3. I avoided tomatoes as it might make the bread soggy.
4. Always cut vegetables fresh so that it does not leave any water.
5. You can flavour the pizza according to your choice.
6. Adding fruits, nutella or any other nut butter would make it really interesting, especially if you have a sweet tooth.
HAPPY COOKING !