Today I am sharing another interesting fusion recipe from my kitchen. These tasty and healthy SAMOSA ROLLS are a combination of the Vietnamese Rice paper rolls and the most popular Indian Snack 'Samosa'.
I have earlier tried making Gluten free Samosa with whole beans and it was a big success and was much enjoyed by family. So this time around worked more confidently with the rice paper.
Nowadays, rice paper is easily available in our grocery stores. As they are absolutely thin ,it is a little difficult to handle them if you are working with them for the first time. But with practise, you are going to enjoy making more recipes with them.
I made two versions of this snack. One is the pan tossed version and the other is the baked version. But both need to be eaten hot. If you are packing for later, then it is better not to fry them at all. Super soft and tasty 'Samosa rolls' without any oil.. how cool is that!
This is how my baked version looked like ! It was so crunchy .. I just drizzled some olive oil and baked them at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes. Turned them and baked again for another 10 minutes !!!! Had it hot with my Masala Chai!
Samosa Rolls :
Preparation time :5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
1. Rice Paper -10
2. Olive oil -1/2 tsp
For the Samosa Filling :
1. Boiled and roughly mashed Potato - 1 large
2. Finely Chopped Green chilli -1 or 2 ( add according to your taste)
3. Finely Chopped and pan fried Onions -1
4. Red Chilli powder -1/4 teaspoon
5. Freshly ground Coriander powder -1/4 tsp
6. Garam masala powder -1/4 tsp
7. Cumin powder -1/4 tsp
8. Fennel seeds powder -1/4 tsp
9. Dry roasted cashewnuts - 4 or 5 roughly broken.
10. Salt to taste.
11. Chopped Cilantro.
1. In a bowl add the mashed potatoes, spice powders, green chilli, salt ,coriander and mix well.
2. Add the finely chopped pan fried onions and roasted nuts to this mixture and mix again. Your filling is ready.
3. Take a heavy bottom wide mouthed pan and heat water. Switch off. Now you have to dip the rice paper for just 10 to 20 seconds . The rice paper cooks quickly.
4. Place it on a kitchen towel for half a minute.
5. Gently lift it to place it on your working counter. Place the filling on the rice paper . Fold first on the sides and roll. Do not worry, little messiness is not going to show on the final roll.
6. This how they look. You can even roll them like samosa. I can see how to make them HERE.
7. Place them on the towel at a distance, so that they do not stick to each other. Complete rolling the entire batch. If you are packing for lunch box, then place a small butter paper between each roll so that they do not stick .
8. For the extra crunch, add olive oil in a heated pan and place these rolls. Fry them on each side for just a minute. Serve hot with a spicy Chilli Sauce.
This is called Guilt free Indulgence !!!!!
Chef Tips :
1. Do not over heat the water for the rice paper. Warm water will be fine. You can soak for 20 seconds instead of 10. Easier to handle the rice paper this way.
2. Drying the rice paper in a kitchen towel is an important step.
3. Do not place the rolls close to each other. It will become messy to eat as they will stick to each other.
4. You can make a sweet version by making a filling of coconut and jaggery. You can use whole grain filling. So many different options.
5. Work with one rice paper at a time.
Happy Cooking !