As you all know, I have been updating various interesting, easy and tasty 'party recipes', that I have made in the past.
Mesmerize your guests with these tasty Idli Pops. A healthy and delicious combination of Idli ( Steamed Rice Cakes) with South Indian Spice Powder( Milagai Podi) and Sauteed Vegetables.
An irresistable combination and a fantastic Party Starter.
Idli Pops | Cocktail Idli :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
You will need toothpicks/small wooden skewers for making the pops.
Special Vessel : Cooking this recipe in an Iron Wok/kadai gives a brilliant colour and taste to the dish.
2 large onion,finely Chopped
10-15 Curry leaves
3-4 Green Chillies, finely chopped
3 to 4 tablespoon of Milagai Podi/Spiced Chutney Powder
3 tablespoon Sesame Oil
Salt to taste ( only for the onions as Idlis are already salted)
1. Get the ingredients ready. Cut the soft spongy Idlis neatly.
2. Heat Oil in an Iron Kadai. Add the chopped green chillies, onions , curry leaves , little salt and saute till the onions turn transparent.
3. Add the Milagai Podi and immediately switch off the gas.
4. Mix the Podi in the heat of the kadai . Add half teaspoon of Oil.
5. Now add the cut Idlis and mix well. Switch on the gas and let the Idlis get lightly roasted. This took around 10-12 minutes for this quantity. Cook on low flame. Keep stirring occasionally so that all the idlis get equally roasted on all sides.
6. You can now arrange them as pops in a serving tray and top it with some fried onions. You can serve them in a bowl and keep some toothpicks for your guests to make their own Idli Pops.
You can prepare this ahead of time as the flavour only gets better . It tastes awesome even when served in room temperature.
A Great Party Starter is'nt it ? It would be a tasty tiffin box idea too.
Chef Tips :
1. It is important to make soft idlis so that the spice powder and the flavour of curry leaves are absorbed by them. Use home made Idli batter for great results.
2. If you are using store bought batter, bring the batter to room temperature before you steam them. Give the batter a good stir to create an aeration effect so that the Idlis come really soft.
3. Add Spice powder according to your taste.
4. You can add 1 or 2 whole garlic( along with the peel ) when you are frying onions if you love garlic.
Have a Joyous Festive Season and Happy Cooking!