Boring mornings can be made interesting by giving small twists to recipes and present it in 'Gourmet 'fashion. Such a thing happened in my kitchen a few weeks ago. Had soaked rice for dosa and ended up making these beautiful looking , yummy 'Masala Flowers'. A Sunshine Breakfast you can say!!
MASALA FLOWERS IN HOT PEANUT SAUCE :
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Vessels Required : small tart pans/ muffin moulds
1 Cup = 250 ml
For the Rice Flower :
1 Cup Raw rice ( I used Guntur Sona Masoori)
Salt to taste
2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
For the Masala:
2 peeled, boiled and well mashed potatoes
3 to 4 finely chopped Green chillies
1 thinly sliced Onion
1 sprig curry leaves
A pinch of turmeric
1 teaspoon Oil
Salt to taste
Chopped Cilantro for garnish
For the HOT Peanut Chutney:
1/4 Cup roasted peanuts
1/4 Cup fresh grated coconut
1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
8 to 10 dry red chillies ( adjust according to your spice levels)
2 to 3 Garlic pods
1 teaspoon tamarind puree or 1/2 teaspoon thick tamarind pulp
2 teaspoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Grind the soaked rice using water to a very smooth batter. Just like Dosa(pancake) batter
2. In a Non stick pan/wok, add the batter and add the oil over it. Let the batter cook in low to medium flame.
3. The batter has to be thin. The easy way to find the right consistency is to place a ladle in the batter ,lift and check the back of the ladle to see whether it coats the ladle. There should be just a very thin coat. If you get a thick coat, then add more water.
4. Keep stirring the batter to avoid any lumps. The batter will keep thickening as it gets cooked and after five minutes, will look like this.
5.You can check whether the dough is done by taking a small piece and rolling it to form a small ball. If you are able to do it with ease, it indicates that your dough is ready. Switch off.
6. When the dough is bearable to touch , grease your hands and knead it into a smooth dough.Grease small muffin moulds/tart pans and take lemon sized balls and shape them into the moulds and steam them for 10 minutes only.
Your rice flowers are ready!!
7. To make the masala filling, Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped green chillies,curry leaves and sliced onions. Add salt,turmeric powder and saute' them for one minute or till the time onions become transparent. Now add the mashed potatoes and mix it well so that they are well blended. Close the lid and let it cook for another minute. Your filling is ready.
8. You can fill the rice flowers with masala and serve it on a bed of 'Hot'Peanut Chutney.
9. For the Peanut Chutney, first soak the red chillies and the garlic pod in warm water for one hour. Heat oil in a pan and roast the peanuts and the sesame seeds. Drain the oil and Transfer them into a mixer. Grind the peanut and sesame seeds along with the soaked chilli-garlic and fresh coconut. You can add little water and the drained oil to make a smooth sauce. add salt according to taste and serve with your Masala Flowers in Style !!
Happy Cooking !