One more rasam recipe from my kitchen to yours. I have been making so much of rasam these days as it's perfect for these winters. 'Village Style ' Milagu Rasam , a recipe that has been handed over from generation to generation . I call this 'Village style' as I have heard stories of my grandmother making her trademark rasam in her village. I believe, my grandfather used to smell and find out what rasam she has made when he is half a kilometer away from home. She truly had magic in her hands!
This is the rasam I make when we come back from a family holiday, totally craving for home food. Milagu rasam with hot rice , mixed with melted ghee and 'Sutta Appalam' is divine food for us.
It is a healthy soup made of garlic, pepper and cumin . The rasam aids in digestion and also relieves flu related ailments.
A must try recipe !
Milagu Rasam :
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
Special Equipment /Vessel : Medium size vessel, iron ladle
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 medium size tomatoes ( roughly chopped)
Lemon size tamarind soaked in 2 cups warm water
salt to taste
1 sprig curry leaves
For the spice paste: ( Soak these ingredients in 1/2 cup water for 30 minutes and grind to a smooth paste using the water)
2 garlic pods
1 & 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1 & 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 -3 dry red chillies ( adjust according to the heat of the chilli)
2 teaspoon pigeon peas/tuvar dal/arhar dal
1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
1. Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for 10 minutes.
2. Extract the juice and discard the pulp.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and the curry leaves (tear roughly for more flavour).
Note : When you simmer, partially close the vessel with a lid like this.
4. Let this simmer for 10 minutes .
5. Add another cup of water and add the spice paste.
6. Simmer the rasam for another 10 minutes.
7. Add salt and taste the rasam.
8. Adjust water accordingly. ( I added extra water as I found the rasam too strong).
9. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
10. When the rasam just froths, switch off.
11. Heat ghee in an iron ladle.
12. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, switch off and add the asafoetida in the ghee and temper the rasam.
Enjoy this 'Milagu Rasam' with Rice and Sutta Appalam( fire roasted pappad).
You can also try my other rasam recipes like TamBrahm Style Paruppu urundai rasam, Mor rasam, Veppampoo rasam and Chettinad rasam.
Happy Cooking !