Spinach and Corn combination can never go wrong. I have earlier shared Spinach and Corn Toasties recipe which is also very yummy. On my recent vacation, the 'not so little one', ordered this sandwich twice and she liked it so much, that I had mentally noted down that I will make it soon for her tiffin box. Made it today and I was delighted to hear from that it tasted better than the 'resto'.
Spinach Spread and freshly boiled sweet corn layered between bread slices. Simple, healthy snack for breakfast, tea time, picnics, travel or lunch box.
Spinach Corn Cheese Sandwich :
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
1 Cup = 250 ml Cup
Makes : 3 Sandwiches
6 slices of white bread ( You can use multigrain, oat bread , wheat bread also)
1/4 cup of sweet corn
3 cheese slices
For the Spinach spread:
20-25 spinach leaves ( with stalk, roughly chopped)
1 green chilli ( adjust according to the spice of the chilli)
3-4 mint leaves or cilantro leaves
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns ( powdered)
salt to taste
1. Boil 2 cups of water and add the spinach leaves.
2. Let the leaves boil for one minute, switch off.
3. Pour the spinach in a strainer and drain the water and wash the leaves with cold/normal water.
4. Keep it aside for 5 minutes for the excess water to drain.
5. Meanwhile, boil the sweet corn, drain water and set it aside.
6. Cut the corners of the bread ( optional step).
7. Grind the blanched spinach along with green chilli, mint/cilantro, salt to a fine paste.
Note: Do not add water.
Assembling the Sandwich :
1. Apply the prepared spinach spread on one side of each bread.
2. Sprinkle the boiled corn , pepper powder on top of the spinach spread.
3. Place the cheese slice and sprinkle corn, pepper powder on top.
4. Close the sandwich with another slice of bread.
5. Repeat this method for the entire batch.
6. Cut into desired shape and serve.
Your healthy and simple Spinach Corn Cheese Sandwich is ready! Perfect for anytime of the day!
Chef Tips :
1. You can add fresh/dry seasoning of oregano, parsley etc., for flavour.
2. Do not add too much of mint or cilantro, else it will change the taste of the sandwich.
3. You can add cucumber, onion and tomato roundels instead of corn and cheese, if you are making for adults who avoid cheese. Just spread 1/2 teaspoon butter before applying the spinach spread.
4. Do not boil the spinach too much if you want to retain the vibrant colour. Washing the spinach in cold water stops it from cooking further.
5. Whole Wheat Bread is more porous and soft. So do not apply too much of the spinach spread to avoid the bread getting soggy.
Happy Cooking !