'Chowmein' is a very popular Street food in India. Vegetable Chowmein is basically stir fry noodles. The noodles are cooked and tossed along with stir fried vegetables. Like all other Indo Chinese dishes, these noodles are very tasty and is loved by the younger generation. The noodles available in restaurants are quite greasy . When we are making at home , we can make the noodles tasty as well as healthy using less oil and preservatives. You can use whole wheat noodles as a healthier option.
Chowmein | Vegetable Stir Fry Noodles :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml cup
150 gms noodles
2 garlic pods ( grated)
1/2 " ginger(peeled and grated)
1 onion ( sliced thinly length wise)
1 carrot ( finely chopped or shredded)
1/4 cabbage ( shredded )
1 capsicum/bell pepper (finely chopped or shredded)
2 green chillies (finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon light soya sauce
1 teaspoon tomato ketchup ( optional)
3-4 black peppercorns ( freshly powdered)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
salt to taste
For Garnish :
Finely chopped spring onion greens OR cilantro
1. In a large pan/vessel, heat 6-7 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt .
2. Add noodles to the boiling water and cook uncovered on medium flame for 2-3 minutes only.
3. Drain the excess water and wash the noodles with cold water.
4. Apply 1 teaspoon sesame oil on the noodles and set them aside.
5. Heat a wide pan with 2 teaspoons of sesame oil.
6. Add the grated ginger , garlic and chopped green chillies.
7. Mix well and add the sliced onions and stir fry on high heat, stirring continuously.
8. Once the onions turn translucent add other shredded vegetables one by one stirring continuously.
9. Add salt and pepper.
10. Add the boiled noodles, soya sauce and tomato ketchup.
11. Stir fry for one minute and switch off.
Your chow mein is ready!
If you are looking for more Indo Chinese dishes, you can try Hakka Noodles, Chinese Fried Rice/Vegetable Fried Rice , Tofu in Hot Garlic Sauce and Vegetable Manchurian Recipes.