Today I am going to share the popular 'Bread upma' recipe. Bread Upma can be completely customised from the size of the bread pieces to the vegetables you would like to add and also the texture of the upma ( soggy, soft or crunchy). Within minutes, tasty bread upma is ready. I like to make it a little tangy and spicy. Also I love to add a lot of vegetables and infact added few moringa leaves to the upma and it tasted even more delicious. A great tea time snack also. You can also pack it for your kid's lunch box and the taste only gets better .
When hunger strikes you and you are in no mood for sandwich, try this bread upma recipe. Also, if you have too much bread in your refrigerator and want to finish it in one go, this recipe is the best. Fry for a longer time to make it more crunchy. You are sure to love it.
Bread Upma :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 -20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml
10 slices of bread ( chopped)
1 large onion ( finely chopped)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
1/4 cup green peas
1/2 " ginger ( grated or finely chopped)
15-20 moringa leaves (optional)
1/2 capsicum ( finely chopped)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4-5 green chillies ( finely chopped) ( adjust according to the heat of the chillies)
1 sprig curry leaves
cilantro leaves/coriander leaves ( finely chopped)
Note : Had demonstrated this recipe in my Snap Kitchen. Some screen shots of the steps from the same.
1. Heat a wide pan/kadai with oil and temper with ingredients given under 'for tempering'.
2. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, peas, capsicum , moringa leaves, turmeric powder and salt.
Chef tip: The bread already has salt so add only for the vegetables.
3. Mix well over low flame and let the tomatoes become mushy.
4. Now add the chopped bread pieces , mix well .
5. Partially cover the pan and allow it to cook over low flame , occasionally stirring the upma .
Chef tip: If you like your upma crunchy and more tasty, you can add a teaspoon of ghee/clarified butter on the sides of the pan and continue cooking.
6. The cooking time will depend upon the texture of the upma you like. It will take approximately 7-8 minutes for medium crunchy bread upma.
7. Switch off and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Your delicious bread upma is ready. You can serve it as is or with tomato ketchup.
Happy Cooking !