There are so many ways of using up the left over rotis/phulkas/chapati ( all Indian flatbreads). My mom always used to tear up the left over chapati and soak it in warm milk with sugar. Oh, so yum ! What a delicious way to use them.
You can also make Kathi rolls, Gozleme and Pizza with Chapati. Today I am sharing an easy and attractive way of using up the left over chapati. You can use your creativity and add vegetables and sauces of your choice. I use vegetables that are available at home on that particular day. This dish tastes great even with just onions and tomatoes.
You can pack this for your office/school tiffin box or can make them for your after school/tea time snacks.
Chapati Noodles Recipe :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 onions ( sliced thinly)
2 tomatoes ( roughly chopped)
1/2 green capsicum /bell pepper ( you can use red /yellow coloured ones too)
2 green chillies ( slit length wise)( optional)
1 teaspoon red chilli sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon white vinegar ( optional)
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
2-3 garlic pods ( finely chopped or crushed)
For garnish :
finely chopped scallions/spring onion greens OR cilantro
2 teaspoons of tomato sauce or ketchup
1. In a clean working counter, tightly roll a chapati and cut them into thin slices.
2. Repeat the same for all the chapatis.
3. Heat a wok/kadai with oil and temper with sesame seeds and garlic.
4. When the garlic turns light brown add the chopped vegetables , salt and cook over medium flame till the onions and tomatoes turn lightly glossy .
Chef tip : Do not wait for the tomatoes to turn mushy. Light crunchiness in the onions adds to the taste. As the chapati already has some salt adjust the quantity accordingly.
5. Now add the soya sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, red chilli sauce and give it a quick stir.
Chef tip : Increase or decrease the quantity of sauces according to your family taste preference. You can use your choice of sauces to make it more interesting and yummy.
6. Add the chapati noodles and mix well over medium flame for 1-2 minutes and switch off.
7. Transfer the noodles to the serving plate/bowls, garnish with scallions or cilantro and drizzle tomato ketchup and serve hot.
Tasty and easy snack is ready in a jiffy.
Happy Cooking !