My fascination and interest to explore Indian Street Food and Bakery Snacks continues and the next in my list comes the Manchurian Hotdogs!
Yes, this is how the Bakery people call it!
Like you, I too thought that there would be a chinese flavour in the stuffing....but surprisingly there was'nt any...
But I was not dissappointed with the taste. It was spicy, tangy and the Cottage cheese was so juicy and the combination of crunchy onions was superb.
When I asked the owner about the reason for 'Manchurian' , he said that he wanted to keep a catchy name for his hotdogs and that "people relate to spicy food when we call it 'MANCHURIAN'!!!!"
An instant favourite with my children and we used to visit the bakery just to pick up the hotdogs. This was some 7 to 8 years back!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves : 2
1.Hotdogs- 4( I used the store bought hotdogs)
2.Paneer(Cottage Cheese)-200 gms
3.Onion-1 large sliced thinly
4.Tomato puree-2 tbsp( I used the Store bought tomato puree)
5.Cilantro- finely chopped
6.Ginger garlic paste- 1/2 tsp
7.Red Chilli powder-1/2 tsp( optionally can use red chilli paste -1/2 tsp)
8.Kitchen King Masala powder-1/2 tsp( you can use any masala of your choice)
9.Salt to taste
1. Let us first prepare our filling:
- In a shallow pan, heat oil and add the ginger garlic paste.
- Saute' for 30 seconds and add the chopped onions and salt.
- When the onions become transparent add the tomato puree'.
- Now add the chilli paste/ powder,masala powder and this simmer for 5 minutes so that there is no sharp taste of chilli.
- Add the cubed paneer.
- Tip:Make sure to soften the paneer by microwaving it for 20 seconds.
- Let everything combine and once the oil seperates and the filling is thick we can switch off.
- Add the chopped cilantro.
- Give the hotdog a horizontal slit without cutting it fully.
- Steam them for 5 minutes so that they become extra soft.
- You can skip this step if your hotdogs are freshly baked.
- Now stuff the hotdog with the filling.
- Add extra cilantro if you want. (The bakery person does this and it looks and tastes so good!)
Your hotdogs are ready to be devoured immediately or packed for picnics,get togethers,tea parties and ofcourse it is one of the yummiest Tiffin Box Idea , I can think of !