Sandwiches, Burgers, Pizzas ,Pastas are the most popular food among children. I try and make them in my own fusion, healthy yet tasty way. Getting approval fron children is not an easy task!!!!
Some recipes just click and then become a favourite in my home.
Today, I am sharing one such recipe which was made purely in the 'morning rush 'to pack the ' tiffin box' but was so much loved by all. I made it with gluten free naturally fermented Rice - Lentil batter recipe. So an absolutely healthy gutfriendly dish.
For those who do not want any paraphernalia you can always have the Rice buns ( known as the Idli in India) slathered with Chutney powder - sesame oil marinade. The younger ones will definitely go for these delicious RICE BUN SANDWICH BURGER.
You can prepare the batter a day earlier so that it ferments well and you will get nice fluffy Idlis/ Rice Buns.
Rice Bun Sandwich Burger | Vegan Burger Recipe | Gluten Free Burger :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes + 8 hours fermentation
1 cup = 250 ml
Makes : 4 Rice bun Sandwiches
Utensil Required : Idli plates ( will be available in Indian Grocery Stores)
1. Fermented Batter - 3 cups
2.Indian Cottage Cheese/ Paneer / Tofu ( as VEGAN option) -200 gms
3.Onions -2 ( sliced as rings)
4. Carrot -1 ( grated)
5.Cilantro - for flavouring ( optional)
6. Sesame Oil - 1 tbsp
7. Tomato Sauce / Tomato Kurma - for garnish ( optional)
8. Idli Chutney Powder -1 tbsp
9. Pav Bhaji Masala/ Garam Masala / Kitchen King Masala - 1 tsp
1. Grease Idli plates with oil,pour batter and allow it to steam cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. While the Idlis are cooking, cut the soft Paneer using a cookie cutter. Let the size be close to the Idli size.
2. In a small heavy bottom pan, add a tbsp of oil and when the oil heats up add the spice powders. When the oil starts to sizzle a bit, add the cut Paneer . Do not burn the spice powders.
3. Using a wooden spatula , mix the paneer and the spice powders to coat it well. Let it fry and become crisp on the outside. This step will take aleast 7 to 10 minutes. Add chopped cilantro and switch off.
4. Now, it is assembling time. First place the buns, top it with Onions.
5. Place the Paneer tikki on top of Onions.
I loved the colours !!!
6. Place some grated carrot and more onions for that extra crunch. If you are going to serve hot immediately, I recommend you to add Tomato Mayo/Kurma or Thick tomato sauce before closing the sandwich with the Rice bun.
As I packed for Lunch box, I did not add the sauce as it would become soggy by afternoon. Just poke the sandwich with toothpick and serve in style!!!!
If you have the batter ready, you can make this burger in no time !!!
Chef Tips :
1. Instead of Paneer ,you can make Tikki/ cutlet of Potato / Tofu or Soya Chunks .
2. When you remove the buns from the Idli Plates, make sure to cool them completely . I was in a hurry and so the top layer is mot smooth. You can aim for a smooth finish.
3. As you are going to make sandwich, do not fill the Idli plates to the brim. The buns will not be stable.
4. Use fresh batter for best results.
5. You can try this recipe various Millet Steamed buns and Semolina steamed buns too.
6. If you have the time then marinate the Cut paneer/tofu in spice powder the previous night. You can add the powders along with a tsp of rice flour in a ziplock cover , mix well and refrigerate.
Happy Cooking !