Vegetable 'Biryani' is a perfect blend of seasonal vegetables and Indian spices cooked perfectly without any aroma being lost in the process. Sundays are mostly 'Biryani' days as it takes just 25-30 minutes from kitchen to dining table.
Even potluck parties are incomplete without Biryani. This is a 'One Pot Dish' and most ideal for lazy weekends, picnics, lunch box and parties. This is an in house recipe and has been tried and tested for more than 2 decades!!!!!
Vegetable Biryani :
Preparation time: 35minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Special Vessel: Pressure Cooker, ladle
1 cup = 250 ml Cup
Note: Soak the Rice in water for atleast 30 minutes before cooking. Use the right measure of water to get soft , not'mushy' rice.
For Basmati, the ideal ratio of rice: water = 1 Cup : 3/4 Cup
For Sona Masoori, 1:2
4 large Onions ( sliced thinly)
1 large potato( peeled and chopped)
1 large carrot(peeled and chopped)
1/4 cup peas
15 french beans ( chopped)
4 green chillies( chopped)
6 garlic pods( grated)
1" fresh ginger piece(grated)
1 teaspoon ALL SPICE POWDER
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 small bay leaves
2 green cardamom
1"piece of cinnamon
1 black cardamom( badi elaichi)
5 Peppercorns ( coarsely crushed)
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon Ghee( clarified butter)
2 tablespoon Oil ( I use Sesame oil)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 Cups uncooked Rice ( You can use Basmati rice, Sona Masoori Rice or Brown Rice)
1. Heat a wide pressure pan with oil+ ghee in low flame.
2. Add the whole spices- bay leaf, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, peppercorns.
3. Also add the grated ginger,green chillies and garlic. Let it cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4.Now add the thinly sliced onions , salt and sugar and saute' them along with the spices in medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add all the chopped vegetables and mix well.
6. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, all spice powder and saute' the vegetables in high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
TIP: This is an important step. The vegetables will get ghee roasted and shiny. If water content is more in the vegetables, saute' them for 2 to 3 extra minutes over medium flame. You can add an extra spoon of Ghee/oil for more taste.
7. Add the soaked rice along with water. Add salt as required.
8. Pressure cook the Biryani upto 2 whistles and switch off.
9. Open when completely cool.
Serve the Biryani along with Achaari Tomato raita, Masala raita, Turmeric Pickle raita, Wadi Pacchadi, Tzatziki Sauce, Boondi raita or Onion Raita.
Flavourful, yummy lunch/dinner is served!
Happy Cooking !