'Potato Masal' and Poori/Puri ( puffed Indian flatbread) are match made in heaven. It is one of the most popular and favourite tiffin combination especially in the South. Potatoes are rich in potassium and have large amounts of Vitamin C. They are believed to improve eye and skin health. Easy to digest and filled with carbohydrates, this tiffin is most ideal for breakfast. The potatoes are soft boiled and then simmered in an open pan/kadai along with the South Indian Masala. Potatoes are delicious and are universally loved by children and adults alike. You can include this dish in your special weekend menu or pack them for your office/school lunch box. Either ways, they are tempting and yummy !
Tamilnadu Style Poori Masal ( South Indian Aloo Masala for Poori)
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel/Equipment : Pressure cooker ( for boiling potatoes)
4 medium size potatoes ( boiled, peeled and roughly crumbled)
1 large onion ( thinly sliced)
4 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
2 garlic pods ( grated)
5-6 cashewnuts ( roughly chopped)
1 teaspoon gramflour/besan
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon bengal gram/channa dal
1 sprig curry leaves
For garnish :
finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Heat a kadai/wok/wide pan over low flame with oil.
2. When the oil is hot, temper with mustard seeds, channa dal and curry leaves.
3. Add the ginger, garlic, green chillies, cashewnuts and mix well over low flame.
4. Immediately add the thinly sliced onions and cook till they turn transparent.
5. Mix besan/gram flour with 1/4 cup water .
6. Add 1/2 cup water to the kadai and add required salt.
7. Now add the besan mixture.
8. Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes over low flame.
9. Add the crumbled potatoes and allow it to cook over low flame for another 7-8 minutes , stirring occasionally.
10. Switch off , garnish and serve hot along with pooris.
1.Adjust water quantity if the mixture becomes too thick.
2.The consistency of this masala should be semi liquid.
3.You can add a dash of lemon to give tanginess to this dish.
4.You can also add a tomato and handful of peas to give an interesting variation.
Happy Cooking !