Quick , Healthy and tasty dishes are always welcome in my kitchen. I often get messages from readers to share yummy and easy recipes that can be prepared within 10 minutes. Poha or the beaten rice can be used to make so many dishes and my love for poha is 'no secret', especially if you are following me on instagram or snapchat.
I have added peas and paneer to the poha and it tasted so good. Though these are optional ingredients, do give it a try when you make poha next time.
Masala Poha | Masala Aval Upma :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml
3 cups poha/beaten rice/aval ( I used the thin variety)
1 onion ( finely chopped)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
1/4 cup peas
1/4 green bell pepper ( capsicum, optional)
100 gms paneer /cottage cheese ( cubed)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon all spice powder or garam masala
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon urad dal/split and husked black gram
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
4 green chillies ( finely chopped, adjust according to heat of the chilli)
1 sprig curry leaves
For garnish :
cilantro leaves ( finely chopped)
2 tablespoons fresh coconut ( grated, optional)
2 teaspoons of Sev /mixture
1. Wash poha twice, drain and set it aside.
Chef Tip : If you are using the thicker variety of poha, then after washing, soak in water for 3-4 minutes , so that they are soft but not mushy.
2. Heat a pan with oil and temper with ingredients given under ' for tempering'.
3. Once tempered add the onions, tomatoes, peas ,salt, turmeric powder and mix well .
4. Cook over low flame till the tomatoes breakdown and become mushy.
5. Now add the paneer, capsicum, garam masala and mix well.
6. Immediately add the soaked and drained poha and keep mixing over low to medium flame.
7. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Stir well and switch off.
9. Garnish with cilantro,coconut, sev and serve with Chai/tea or coffee.
Looking for more healthy breakfast options? Click here.