Murungai Keerai / Moringa leaves/Drumstick leaves are filled with various health benefits. You can add them in your daily diet in many ways. Murungai Keerai Sadam or Moringa Leaves Rice is so delicious and is quick to make too.
You can pack it for school/office tiffin box. Murungai Keerai Sadam with appalam/vathal/vadam is just too yummy .
You can also try making Murungai Keerai Milagai podi or Murungai Keerai Chutney /thogayal as a healthy side dish for Idli /Dosa.
Murungai Keerai Sadam:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 cups rice ( sona masoori or basmati , cooked with just enough water so that they do not stick to each other)
For roasting and grinding :
1 cup moringa leaves/murungai keerai/drumstick leaves ( loosely packed)
1 teaspoon ghee or sesame oil
1 teaspoon black pepper corns
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds/dhania
1 teaspoon Bengal gram/channa dal
1 teaspoon peanuts
1 dry red chilli
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon Bengal gram /channa dal
1/2 teaspoon split and husked black gram/ urad dal
1. Heat a pan with ghee and roast the ingredients given under 'for roasting and grinding ' and transfer it to the small jar of a mixie/mixer.
2. Heat the same pan and add the cleaned and washed drumstick leaves.
3. Cook over low flame for 3-4 minutes or till the time the excess water is absorbed and the drumstick leaves shrinks and changes colour.
4. Switch off and transfer the leaves to the mixer jar.
5. Once completely cool, add salt and grind it to a coarse powder/podi.
6. Heat a wide pan or kadai with oil and temper with ingredients given for tempering.
7. Once tempered, add the ground powder/podi , mix and add the rice.
8. Stir to mix well over medium to high flame and switch off.
Healthy Murungai Keerai Sadam is ready to be served.
Happy Cooking !